Here are the essential 4 steps to creating an online presence for your business.
Every business should have a Google My Business presence so people can easily find out opening hours and contact information. Consider this the yellow pages of the internet.
Next setup a Facebook page which will build up exposure for your business as a local message board or newspaper.
Then build a website which acts is the online shop front for your business. This will show off your services or products and should enable people to make online orders.
The final and continuous step is advertising to create online leads for the business. This will largely consist of driving traffic to your website or Facebook page.
Setup Online Business Presence[/full_width]
There are a variety of places you can set your business up on the internet from Facebook, Instagram, Esty to Google. It is all about having a presence where your customers are. Here are the first steps every business should look at implementing.[full_width padding=”0 20px 0 20px”]
1. Get Listed on Google for Free
Google My business (GMB) is a free service offered by Google to help people get their service or business listed on Google. Whether you’re a home-based business or a service-area business, you can list your details to appear on Google with or without an address. All of the following businesses should be setup on GMB.
- Single Location Brick & Mortar
- Multi-location Brick & Mortar
- Service Area Business
- Multi-location Service Area Business
- Home Based Business
- Multi-practitioner Business
If you are setting up GMB you should make sure your business model matches Googles Guidelines. There is a great guide on matching business model to google guidelines here.
Guidelines for Creating GMB Listing
- 1 Google My business per location (PO Boxes not acceptable)
- Unique phone number per listing
- Hide address option
You can check out Googles official guidelines here. If you are not sure what type of listing to create just contact me and I will help you.
[full_width padding=”0 20px 0 20px”]
2. Setting Up Facebook Page
Setting up a Facebook page is free and can be done very quickly. All you need to do is input general business information, add a cover page and a profile picture and the page is created. Next step is to create content and share the page with friends and customers.
- 50 Creative Facebook Covers to Inspire You: (ways you can present your cover photo to stand out and see results, a great list to read.)
- 19 Essential Tips for an Engaging Facebook Business Page: (HubSpot gives us a bunch of tips for having an engaging business page on Facebook.)
- Page Guidelines: It’s always a good idea to check in with Facebook since they can sometimes be sneaky about their policy changes, save this and check it every so often.
Top Tip: Request reviews from past customers[/full_width]
[full_width padding=”0 20px 0 20px”]
3. Build a Website
Having an easy to use mobile friendly website is essential for every business to get recognized and bring in leads. You can easily build a website yourself using WordPress or Weebly or hire an agency to build one for you.
Tips for Building a Website
- Use WordPress – It’s extremely user-friendly and doesn’t require a developer
- Mobile over 50% traffic so has to be optimized for mobile, most WordPress themes will optimize to screen size by default
- Use Nice Imagery – First impressions are key and if you don’t look professional having a website is pointless
- Do not use other people’s images without their consent. Go use Google Images either, you can get free images http://www.freepik.com/ that use need add a link back to.
- Add schema to every page of the website in the footer – especially important for local SEO.
- Research keywords first before any content – all content should be written focused around a keyword which a potential customer would be searching for. You can research keywords here https://kwfinder.com
Creating Website Content Rules
- 300-500 Words
- Unique Keyword
- Unique Meta Data
- Add Keyword to url
- Add Keyword to Headings – H1, H2, H3
- Add Keyword to Image Alt Tag
- Add Keyword to Text +/- 2-3%
- Link to other relevant webpages
If you are not sure that your website meets the above guidelines you can order a Website Audit here, where we will check all of the above and so much more.